Thanks for checking in! Today's post offers a simple, effective, healthy recipe for beautiful, healthy skin. If it is common practice you to wash your face on a daily basis, this recipe could come in handy. Instead of stripping your skin of beneficial oils, and washing your face with petroleum based products or synthetic ingredients, try a natural cleanser using the cleansing power of oats. While this recipe isn't strong enough to remove make-up, it may be the gentle cleanser you are searching for, without chemicals and synthetic ingredients foreign to your skin and body systems.
Oatmeal Face Wash???.....Why?
- oatmeal contains saponins and other beneficial compounds which help clean the skin
- oatmeal is very cheap
- chemical free
- smooth, baby soft skin
- no harsh chemicals on your skin and good for the environment
- its takes a few tries to get the consistency right....no big deal!
- it takes a little extra effort to prepare and use...but not much!
- sediment and oatmeal may appear in and around your sink...but who cares?
Ingredients to make:
1 cup of quick oats (old fashioned oats may work too)
Spice or coffee grinder or food processor
Blend one cup of Quick oats into a powder and store in an air tight container
1. Take one or two tablespoons of powder and place into a cup
2. Add water to make a paste
3. Massage onto face
4. Let it sit for a few minutes (drink coffee, pet your cat, or do a few yoga poses)
5. Rinse off face with water
Variations and Additions:
This is where things get interesting....and fun! The simplicity and effectiveness of this recipe makes it perfect as is, but if you have some extra ingredients around, you can fortify this recipe with beneficial, skin-loving herbs. Here are some effective additions:
Honey: anti-bacterial, humectant (retains moisture)
Bentonite Clay: promotes clean, healthy skin and leaves a smooth finish
- Calendula: anti-inflammatory, antiseptic
- Chamomile: antibacterial, calms reddness
- Rose: may help with oily skin, tightens pores
- Lavender: calming, smells great, great for acne
Add herbs during the grinding process to mix in with the oatmeal. Bentonite powder can be added to the oatmeal mixture after blending. If you decided to add honey, add that in right before applying to your face.